Sunday, October 08, 2006

NCGE Conference Day 3

Last day of the conference ends on a high note. I attended the Literacy Task Force discussion. This group of dedicated geography/literacy teachers is moving forward to further awareness and integration of literacy elements in other curricular areas. As a former English Language Arts teacher myself, I'm excited about being involved with this part of NCGE.

Then, I went to Dr. Joseph Kerski's session on utilizing Topographic maps and GPS. We even took a tiny field trip to use those GPS units! Joseph offers great ideas and expertise. After many years with USGS, he is now working with ESRI. He is a great asset in the geographic education field and offers generous support for educators. http://www.josephkerski.com Just ask!

Following Joseph's session, he and I got a boat and ventured to the nearby confluence, 39N 120W. Joseph has many confluences under his belt, over 100. This journey was my first confluence. You can read about Joseph's adventures along with other globe trotters at http://www.confluence.org .

No comments: